Diz, Hand spun novelty yarn and Navajo plying

My Diz - a large button !

Novelty Yarn made by plying multicolored roving onto fine crochet cotton 

Navajo Plying 
When I met a lady at the Spinning Workshop who taught me to Navajo ply I was over the moon. I'd always wanted to give it a try but it seemed difficult when I read the books on how to...  so when I sat beside her and she showed me how it seemed simple.   Simple that is until I applied my usual flat out method of treadling and the loops disappeared faster than a lizard drinking.  Whats more I had kinked up yarn from here to breakfast time.   You'll need to slow down a bit she said (smirking I'm sure)  - I was determined to stick with it if it took all day - it didn't  and I was suddenly able to do it and produced several of the skeins above and came home and had to restrain myself from Navajo plying everything in sight !!
Posted by Picasa

How to Navajo Ply Video


Comments