Handspinning Plastic Yarn

Spinning up Plastic bags to make Plarn 
Second Spool of Plastic being spun before plying 
Plied Plastic on the spool 
Another spool 
Finished recycled plastic yarn wound up and ready to use 
Close up of the plied "Yarn"

Found a cool bag idea for making a crochet apple bag and after searching high and low - you guessed it, not a sign of my heavy cotton I had in mind to use.  By now I was itching to give it a go and decided to make up some plastic yarn and why not spin it up ?
I cut the bags on the diagonal round and round to give me a more or less continuous material to work with and decided to make any knots part of the design process !  You could also cut the bags across and loop them together to make your starting material.

It was surprisingly easy once I got started.  Some plastic  went through easier than others and I found the bread bags we use here best as they seem smoother to work with but I have used a variety.  I use an Ashford Traditional Wheel with a Jumbo attachment.  You do really need something like a Jumbo wheel or attachments or it would get pretty frustrating getting looped up on everything.

So !  I have my "yarn" and the bag is half crocheted so watch this space.
Spinning Wheels 

Comments