Fleece being made into Felt


Posted by Picasa

This is a sample of one of my first efforts at feltmaking. Not exactly the picture I had in my head after seeing someone make it and her version looked like "real felt"..... in other words, mine looked very woolly next to her thick and felted version. I showed it someone who did felting and she said it was because I had made it with a coarser fleece and this made it harder. Whew ! All that rolling and kneading maybe should have been easier.... I have since read that if you want fine felt you use fine fleece and if you use hard stringy fleece then the felt will be the same !

I really like the colors though and at least I can photograph it and use it for something creative. It may morph into a bag or hat later....... I'll see ....

Today I thought I'd expand a bit on my felt making - after all I am now experienced !
I wanted to make something felty .... not sure what.....something a bit more ambitious and something to do with felt so I took some fleece and tried to make a felt ball. I did make a felt ball, a wee, tiny one after what seemed like hours of kneading and agitating and it actually did come out properly felted. Yay ! I will post it if I can get the macro to take it large enough to view .......

Comments